A spot of oil left behind in your driveway or garage might seem insignificant at first glance. As long as your vehicle is still running fine, what’s the big deal? Unfortunately, a car leaking oil in Chino, CA is a big problem that needs to be addressed right away. This post will cover a few of the reasons your car might be leaking oil and how the issue can be avoided:
- Degraded gasket: Located between two pieces of metal, gaskets are responsible for allowing fluid transfer between different areas of the engine. Over time, the gaskets can degrade, causing the seal to weaken and fluids to start dripping out. If the cause of your oil leak is a problem with the gasket, have it repaired as soon as possible. Waiting around can lead to a cracked engine block, which is a very significant repair.
- Cracked engine block: Speaking of a cracked engine block, this can be the cause of a major oil leak. A cracked engine block can allow oil to leak internally or externally. While both are equally serious, you’ll notice an external leak immediately, as oil will be all over your driveway. Call a tow truck to get your car inspected and repaired right away.
- Bad oil filter: An oil filter helps remove contaminants from your oil that could damage the engine. Although today’s filters are more durable, they still only last about three months. Neglecting to replace your filter every few months could cause oil leaking from your car in Chino, CA.
- Oil pan damage: The oil pan serves as a reservoir for oil while the engine cools off after you park. A hole in the pan or any damage caused by debris or a loose gasket can lead to a leak. Fortunately, this is a quick fix for a qualified mechanic.
Ways to prevent oil leaks
The good news is that preventing oil leaking from your car in Chino, CA is fairly simple. Follow these steps to lower your risk of oil troubles:
- Schedule frequent oil changes: Check your manufacturer’s recommendations for oil changes, and bring your car to a professional at the proper intervals. In addition to changing your oil, a mechanic will swap out your oil filter and inspect your engine for any signs of damage that may lead to a leak.
- Switch your oil: Some types of motor oils include seal conditioners that are designed to prevent leaks by tightening gasket seals and making them more flexible. Talk to your mechanic about upgrading your oil during your next oil change.
- Add leak-stopping additives: There are also additives you can put in your existing motor oil that help tighten gasket seals. It’s important to note that this is not a permanent solution for fixing an oil leak, but it will help slow it down before you have your car repaired.
Come to us to fix your oil leak
If you’re experiencing a car leaking oil in Chino, CA, come to Gabriel’s Automotive & Towing. Our engine repair experts can quickly diagnose the cause of your leak and fix it in no time at all.
Categorised in: Auto Repair
This post was written by Writer