The cooling system in your vehicle is crucial for keeping the engine at a reasonable operating temperature. An engine that overheats could break down, or at the very least could become inefficient and have its parts wear down faster. If you can’t remember the last time you had maintenance performed on your vehicle’s cooling system, it’s probably a good idea to contact a specialist in car maintenance in Chino, CA to get this done.
Here are just a few of the most common signs that you’re having cooling system issues in your vehicle and need to have it checked out:
- The engine overheats: In this case, you’ll need to have your cooling system checked out immediately by a service specialist; otherwise, you could experience some major engine damage that necessitates very expensive repairs.
- You smell antifreeze: The antifreeze in your vehicle should be unnoticeable during standard operation.
- Leaks: If you see leaks under the front of your vehicle that are a pastel blue, fluorescent orange or yellowish green in color, that means your coolant system is leaking and you’ll need to address the problem immediately. Frequently having to add coolant to the radiator could be a sign that you’re dealing with a leak.
Make sure your cooling system is good to go
Fortunately, you can prevent many of the problems listed above by engaging in regular preventative maintenance to keep your cooling system in the best shape possible. Here are a few tips to help you keep it in good condition:
- Keep an eye on the drive belt: The drive belt will eventually fail if you do not replace it at the proper time. Your owner’s manual for your vehicle should give a service life recommendation for the drive belt—it will typically be around 50,000 miles (or five years). Any auto technician will be able to tell you if your vehicle’s drive belt is nearing the end of its useful life.
- Change the coolant: Every couple of years you should completely flush and swap out the coolant in your vehicle. This helps you disperse the heat in your vehicle and prevents corrosion from forming in some of its most crucial components. The older antifreeze gets, the more it starts to lose its ability to prevent the engine from overheating. Therefore, flushing and replacing the antifreeze can help the engine run cooler while also removing some sediment that can cause damage to other parts of the system.
- Inspect other parts: The radiator and hoses should also be regularly inspected. Make sure your hoses aren’t cracking, drying out or forming bulges. Replace them as soon as you notice a problem.
These are just a few tips to help you take better care of your vehicle’s cooling system. For more information, we encourage you to contact Gabriel’s Automotive & Towing about your options for car maintenance in Chino, CA and the various services we’re able to offer you. We’re happy to answer any questions you have for our team. Get in touch today to schedule an appointment!
Categorised in: AC Repair
This post was written by admin