Car maintenance in Chino Hills, CA is something that tends to slip the average automobile owner’s mind. Many people forget when they last got an oil change or rotated their tires. Unfortunately, as a result, these vehicle owners are surprised when the dreaded check engine light appears on their dashboard.
A check engine light can indicate a vast number of problems with your car, from needing to screw the gas cap on more tightly to requiring an expensive replacement part to keep your car running at all. Often, the check engine light alerts you to one of a few very common problems, but you’ll either have to check yourself or take your car to an auto repair shop to identify and fix the problem as soon as possible.
Here are some of the most common causes of an illuminated check engine light and how you can fix the problem:
- Loose gas cap: If your gas cap is not shut tightly or is missing altogether, gas can evaporate from your vehicle and reduce your gas mileage. If your check engine light shows, check your cap first to see if it fixes the problem.
- Faulty O2 sensor: A faulty oxygen sensor in your vehicle can lower your gas mileage because it won’t accurately identify how much unburned oxygen is in your exhaust and how much fuel is in the tank.
- Faulty battery: If your car’s battery is faulty or the electrical connections are poor, it can result in low voltage to the car’s computer, causing the check engine light to turn on. Have it checked out at a repair shop and replaced, if necessary.
- Broken mass airflow sensor: The mass airflow sensor measures the amount of air that is supplied to your engine and helps determine the amount of fuel to be delivered. If it isn’t working properly, your car won’t have enough power and can surge when you accelerate. If you notice these surges and the check engine light is on, this is likely the problem.
- Misfiring spark plugs: Your spark plugs ignite the compressed fuel in an internal combustion engine. If the spark plugs are faulty or misfiring, your engine power and fuel economy will likely be affected, and there might be damage to the catalytic converter.
- Broken catalytic converter: The catalytic converter converts harmful gases from combustion in your car to less harmful emissions. This part typically fails after a related part, like the spark plugs, fail and can be extremely expensive to fix.
If your check engine light pops on in your vehicle, assess the symptoms your vehicle may be showing, check the small things first, then take your car into an auto body shop for assessment by a professional. They will be able to run the codes on your vehicle and identify the source of the problem.
The best way to avoid surprises with your check engine light and potentially costly repairs is to take your car in for routine car maintenance in Chino Hills, CA. You must stay up to date with your car’s maintenance schedule to keep everything running smoothly.
If you need car maintenance in Chino Hills, CA, visit Gabriel’s Automotive & Towing. For over 25 years, we’ve provided our clients with full-service automobile maintenance and repairs at affordable prices. Visit us today!
Categorised in: Car Maintenance
This post was written by Writer