What Are the Benefits of Synthetic Oil?September 11, 2017 6:41 pm Leave your thoughts
When you go in for an oil change in Chino Hills, CA, you will be faced with a decision: to use conventional or synthetic motor oil in your car. Synthetic oil costs about three times as much as conventional oil, so you may be tempted to pass on it every time you see a mechanic. However, synthetic oil is more expensive for a reason: it provides many different benefits for your engine, and can even help it last longer.
If you’re hesitant to make the leap to using synthetic oils, here is some information about how synthetic oil is made and how using it can help your engine run better.
What is synthetic oil?
Synthetic oil is different from conventional oil. Conventional oil is derived directly from crude oil and provides lubrication properties and stability over time. Using conventional oil in your car is just fine, and you shouldn’t have problems with your engine from using conventional oil. However, synthetic oil is a step above conventional.
Synthetic oil starts as conventional oil but is then modified to enhance its properties. The process of making synthetic oil includes removing the oil’s impurities and customizing its molecules for certain performance benefits. Some synthetic oils don’t have any conventional oil in them at all, and are 100 percent synthetic.
Certain synthetic blends are specifically designed to have particular properties, such as for high-performance engines or to increase the lifespan of high-mileage cars.
Benefits of synthetic oil
Synthetic oils are known to provide your engine with an added level of protection against wear. This protection comes from a variety of benefits synthetic oil provides:
- Fewer deposits: As conventional oil breaks down, it leaves deposits on your engine parts, called “sludge” or “scaling,” which can reduce engine efficiency and its lifespan. Synthetic oil is less prone to leave deposits, and some blends are actually made to remove these deposits from your engine.
- Reduced breakdown: Synthetic oil doesn’t break down as fast as conventional oil does, meaning it has to be changed less frequently. Where as conventional oil usually needs to be changed every 3,000 miles, synthetic oil can often push the need for an oil change in Chino Hills, CA to between 7,500 and 10,000 miles.
- Maintained viscosity: Synthetic oil is designed to maintain its viscosity, or thickness, for a longer time. It sticks to the engine parts better, which prevents wear and dry starts.
- Better lubrication: Synthetic oil has added lubricants that can help your engine last longer by keeping engine parts slick for longer at high temperatures, decreasing wear and tear over time.
- Flows easier: Conventional oils take more time to heat up and get moving in cold temperatures. Synthetic oil, on the other hand, flows much easier in extreme temperatures.
- Improved fuel economy: Certain engines can get improved fuel economy by using synthetic oils.
When your car needs an oil change in Chino Hills, CA, visit the automotive experts at Gabriel’s Automotive & Towing and ask about our selection of synthetic oils! We’ve offered full service automotive repair and maintenance to our community for over 25 years. Call us today for a free quote!
Categorised in: Oil Change
This post was written by Writer